Friday 7 March 2014

Where am I now?

So here I am in the brilliant hospice.  The care and attention to getting me better has been incredible. I've also had some fab visits from dear friends, so many well-wishes and messages and gorgeous gifts.  I feel so lucky to have such wonderful people around me, wherever they are in the world.
Beautiful!
When I arrived, I wasn't in a very good way.  Yes, I had managed to stand a little with the hospital physio's help, but I wasn't strong enough or confident enough to do much more.  I can now stand with help and walk/shuffle with the help of the zimmer frame.  I am being looked after holistically - medically, physically and emotionally.  They are also concerned about the whole family - it's not all about me!

I'm just going to take a minute to write about hospice care, as it isn't always what people think it is. The aim is to improve the lives of people who have a terminal illness, however long that may be, and people - such as myself - may need to go in and out for short or longer periods over time.  I've taken advantage of pain control, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, complementary therapies, palliative care and rehabilitation as well as the amazing care received overall from the staff and volunteers who work here.  There's also financial and practical advice and support for the whole family such as respite and counselling.  They try to be almost a home from home - for example, I've decorated the room with photos and drawings the girls have done and I get brought a Baileys once in a while which is most pleasant!  I have a family room with a sofa bed, so we've also had a couple of family sleepovers which were fantastic. Hospice care is free and this one is a charity (I assume they all are?), with most of its funding coming from donations, so everything helps.

Back to the present.... Yesterday the hospice arranged for me to go home for the day. This was the best ever! They've found a wheelchair I can use and so I was transported in their special van back home. Our cat was so pleased to see me! I had a nice long cuddle with her; we've missed each other!

Isn't she gorgeous?
The OT came over to discuss what's needed to get me home and we developed a plan of action, so I am more confident that things will start happening to get me there soon. My husband cooked a lovely lunch and we watched the new Thor movie, which I've been dying to see for ages! My mum collected the girls from school and came over so I also got to see them all which was brilliant. And then I had to say goodbye which is always difficult. But it has meant I am even more eager to get home as it was so lovely to be there with everyone. Patience and time, but I will get there... we're aiming to get me home later next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment