Tuesday, 17 August 2010

Chemo cycle 2: Day 22

Well, as you can guess by the title, I wasn't able to have chemo today.  Clearly, I had a sneaking suspicion that would happen but I was still gutted, still am.

I didn't see my usual oncologist, as she was on leave, so I was quite nervous and irritated, as obviously she knows my history.  The one I saw had read my notes, but still needed me to explain everything that had happened.  We then spoke about the possibilities - have it in my rubbish arm but risk it flare up again, have it in the left arm and risk lymphedema, delay it and get a PICC line in me. I don't want a PICC line and I didn't want a delay so I said, let's try the rubbish arm, and if that doesn't work, risk the left.

However, she then took another look at my arm which is all blotchy still and said she needed a second opinion.  The next oncologist (I guess!) said no, we shouldn't risk it and I need a PICC line.  Words rhyming with duck and pit flashed through my brain.  The one I am getting requires a local anaesthetic and surgery, as it's in my chest. So now I get to wait for that appointment to show up - not even sure which hospital will be contacting me - and get that in.  Hopefully it will be in the next week and I can get my chemo next Tuesday.  So keep everything crossed for me still!

I don't have much hope of it being in the next week though.  But hey ho, it means I have at least a week of feeling vaguely normal!

No comments:

Post a Comment