Monday 9 August 2010

Introduction

About me

I am a 35 mother of two young girls whom I breast fed. I have no family history of cancer. I eat well, don't smoke and I exercise. I live as healthily as I can. I still managed to get breast cancer.

Background

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in April 2010. At that point, it was what is called DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ) which is a non-invasive type of breast cancer. It is not life threatening if it doesn't spread outside of the milk ducts, so it's probably a good type of cancer to get. However, it was everywhere in the breast meaning that I had to have a masectomy. The consultant also told me that they would have to remove a few of my lymph glands and test for invasive cancer. If they found any, I would have to go on for further treatment, including chemo.

I had the masectomy in May 2010.
About a week later, I was told that the cancer had spread from the milk glands and was considered invasive. Therefore, I needed further treatment.

A consultation with the oncologist revealed that, at the least, I would need 6 rounds of chemo 3 weeks apart and hormone treatment for the next 5 years. I possibly need radiotherapy, but I find that out in September.

So I started chemo in July and have kept a diary since. I am going to transpose it on to here as it will help me keep track of how it's going and maybe, just maybe, it can help others.


No comments:

Post a Comment